I take a dim view* of the word 'citizen', as it implies a certain kind of provinciality and packishness that I intensely dislike and have spent the past two years attempting to distance myself from. Perhaps a more apt term is 'denizen' - as an iPoly denizen, I find it necessary to define a role for myself that will allow me to keep my identity intact yet allow me to make the socially-required contributions. I will continue in my role as the President of the writing club. I also plan to join and be active some of the intellectual societies that sprung up over the summer, as a means of connecting with those who share my interests.
Effective Learner/User of Technology/Communicator
For me, these all tie in together, and it beings with my relationship with technology. In my world, technology exists solely as a method of one-way communication - the concept of two-way communication, particularly written, is a completely alien, rather frightening idea that honestly I'm not going to be able to accept anytime soon - perhaps because I feel like email and related communications invade my personal space, which extends to and encompasses my computer. (All of my important creative thought and a good majority of my intellectual thought winds up on my Mac - this thing is my external hard-drive, my pensive.)
If possible, I would like to experiment with emerging technologies like Goggle Glass and discover if they might be able to help with some of the temporal issues I struggle with that stop me from understanding due dates, and predicting how long it will take me to do things.
Further more, as an effective learner, I will be more proactive about my education, instead of assuming that I will forever be able to skate by on my spongitude, like I pulled with my Econ class, and pretty much every class last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.
In the final category, communication, I will attempt to not put off conversations with people just because it involves talking to someone who isn't myself, even if it involves awkward shortcuts. So, I will aim to become better at communicating by actually communicating.
*In fact, I take such a dim view of most everything that crosses my path, that, by the time I'm twenty, I will probably have wrinkles from wearing a look of complete skepticism almost 24 hours a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment